I recently Frankensteined a taco soup recipe and I'm really enjoying it. I read so many other recipes just to get an idea of what they do and then I pulled this and that into a pot to create my own version. If you want to see an original version, just google "Zero Point Weight Watchers Taco Soup" and you can figure that I probably read the first six or so recipes to get the ideas flowing in my head.
My version comes out to zero points and the first time I ate it I added 4 points worth of shredded cheddar cheese (1/4 cup of the real stuff - life's too short to only eat fat free cheese!) but to tell you the truth the soup is so tasty that I really couldn't tell the cheese was in there. I left it out when I had left overs and it was fantastic! I also tried something new and topped it with plain fat free Greek yogurt and I did NOT miss the sour cream at all and I certainly didn't miss the points I would have had to count.
Here's my version:
No precooking, sautéing, blanking, or any of those other hoity-toity cooking methods needed - just dump all this stuff in your electric pressure cooker (I have the Power Pressure Cooker XL) and push the soup button (I'm pretty sure the Instant Pot also has a soup button that should work very similarly). If you don't have an electric pressure cooker, I won't shame you (much) but I'm sure you could put this on the stove and cook it on medium until the chicken was fully cooked and tender.
- 2 chicken breasts - I used these monsters from Sams that I didn't trim but don't be like me - trim those girls of all visible fat (trust me you will be glad you did!)
- 1 sweet onion - diced
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 can whole kernel corn - do not drain the juice just dump it all in the pot
- 2 cans diced tomatoes - again, no draining
- 1 can chopped green chilies - yep, broken record - do not drain these guys
- 1 can each black beans and kidney beans - these you want to drain and then rinse them really well
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning (I love the Penzey's brand but any type will work or you can just dump in one of those packets of pre-made taco seasoning mix)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin (does anyone else think this smells like BO? My hubby mentioned it one day and now its all I can smell but oh, it tastes so good!)
After your pressure cooker has finished cooking just let it do a natural release for about 15 minutes. Pull your fully cooked chicken breasts out and shred them with two forks. Put the chicken back in and give it a few stirs. I ended up with six good size servings and the leftovers are even better than the first meal! I put a couple dollops of the Greek yogurt on top and it was fabulous! So filling and it's zero points!!!