Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Thoughts on Comparison


One of the 5 things that Pahla B. emphasizes in her Five-Oh! method is mindset.  She encourages us to think about our thoughts and label them as helpful or not helpful.  Many times my inner mean girl leads me down the path of comparison with other people.  That path does not end well for me and 99.99% of the time is not helpful at all!  

Recently I've been working really hard not comparing my fitness with my husband's.  He is at his goal weight (mostly) and walks anywhere from 3-6+ hours a day.  He tries to get in about 100 miles a week!  I have to continually tell myself that to walk that much is his choice and I don't have to make the same choice.  For one thing I don't think my body would be too happy with me and for a second I would not enjoy it.  I'm a true believer that you don't know what tomorrow may bring so make sure you are enjoying each day you have.  I am also having to continually remind myself that someone else's journey is not my journey.  I have my own journey and all I can do is walk my own road.  I can certainly be inspired by other journeys but beating myself up because I'm not as good, thin, fit, successful, creative, (enter any other destructive word here), as someone else does not get me closer to where I want to be.  Instead I need to look at what my goals are (not someone else's goals for me) and determine what I am willing to do to achieve them.  To that end here are some of the goals that are floating around in my head - some are health related and others are just bucket list type items but either way they contribute to my overall well-being.

  • Reach a healthy weight that makes me feel good about myself and allows me to do all the things I want to do
    • 20 minutes of moderate exercise each day
    • Eat healthy 80% of the time - allow the treats and don't be ashamed of them!
    • 7-8 hours of sleep each night
  • Create a daily routine in retirement that allows me time to be creative while still maintaining my home and relationships
    • Bible journaling/study
    • Home maintenance/blessing
    • Exercise
    • Spending time with people who matter
      • Fun outings with my husband - biking, hiking, museum crawling, etc.
    • Reading for pleasure
    • Creative endeavors
  • Work through my worries in a healthy way
    • Reality check the situation
    • Plan for worst case scenario
    • Prayer - let go and let God!

  • YouTube
    • Film what I enjoy - encourage others
    • Don't let channel become yet another comparison vehicle
    • Stop worrying about the numbers
  • Find ways to bless others through my time and talents
    • Project Linus
    • Dress-a-Girl
    • Operation Christmas Child
    • DAR projects
    • CTMH
    • Cards for Soldiers
    • Sponsored kids
    • Handmade gifts for friends and family
I'm sure I will add to this list and at times take things away but I think this was a good exercise in looking at what I really want and not comparing myself to others and trying to achieve their dreams instead of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment